Saturday, March 13, 2010

Vegan Sausages

One of my favorite things to make is seitan, or one of the its many variations. My evil plan is to make some no-fat added sausages, but I had to try out some other versions first. My favorite recipe turns out to be these, via Vegan Dad (from the PPK blog, but I couldn't find the recipe there).


I served these with mashed potatoes, sage gravy, and garlic collard greens. I found that the key to a perfect sausage-like texture is to steam them very slowly. The recipe calls for 40 minutes of steaming, but I did mine for an hour, and I made sure that the water was not ever at a rolling boil. I also turned them once to make sure the cooking was even. I was so excited to eat these, that I forgot that I was going brown them first.

Look for a no fat added version to come. (I'm thinking apple-sage flavored)

Notes: For the sage gravy, I left out the oil, an sauteed the veggies in broth. While I was attempting to make the roux, I keep adding broth, until I gave up and just added the rest of the ingredients. It was not as thick I would have liked it, so I added tablespoon of arrowroot powder dissolved in water to thicken the gravy up. This recipe is a keeper!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Vegan Valerie said...

I would like to try my hand at seitan, but it seems so daunting to me. I don't know why... One of these days I'll go for it! Thanks for your enthusiasm! Your meal looks delicious! :)

Morgan said...

Its so delicious.
Stroopwafels