Friday, December 29, 2006

History

As you probably already saw, Christmas as a ton a fun. However, before the festivities began, Joel, Mollie and myself received a history lesson. We began the day with a visit to the cemetary to visit Mom, Grandma and Grandpa; and then my dad, (without explanation) drove us off is a direction that didn't lead to Steve and Linda's house!

Here is what we did:
First stop: U.S. Grant Elementary school. This is where my dad went, and it doesn't look like the building has changed much!


Across the way form the school, was the church my dad was confirmed in... (I was too lazy to walk around to the front!)

Just down the street from the School, was the house my father grew up in. I was amazed by the size of the house... it was tiny. I can't believe that it housed 9 kids at one time!!!! Again, my dad reported that it looks the same!

A shot of the street in front of the house:

Again, just a few blocks away, was the Middle School that Dad attended.

Next stop was the school that Mom went to. This photo does not do it justice! It is a beautiful sprawling building, that has been maintained very well (at least on the outside.)

Finally, we visited the house the mom grew up in. I had been here before, but it was nice to pay it a visit. And it is for sale! It's great to visit a house that you know that your family built. According to dad, my great grandfather Paul Behling built the house. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the foundation is made of ceramic tile, not something you see very often! What's even more amazing, is that this house was only about 8 blocks from where my dad's house was!


It was a great way to spend the morning. I wanted to see South Division High School, but it's gone, at least the building that my parents when to school in. I searched in vain for old photos on the web, but did have any luck. This link looks like it should have photos, but it gives a little history.

It's almost New Years eve. Hooray!

1 comment:

Anishka said...

That's so cool that all those places your dad grew up around are still there and that he took you to see them... we have to know our history, always.

Much love to you my friend, happy new year... we need to catch up soon!

Love,

*Nishi